Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Where Do I Go From Here

It's been one month since I had a student threaten to kill me. I've had a lot of time to reflect on the situation. I don't know what sort of long-term impact it will have on me. Initially, I thought that teaching was not for me anymore. Then, I had colleagues tell me that they had been threatened. I was shocked that so many teachers had been through something similar in the past. Although, it was inspiring to know that others have been able to come back from something like.

I've had some time off. The position I was subbing for was filled. Now I'm subbing for a lady on maternity leave. I still do not feel safe in the building. I continue to scan rooms and look around in the halls. Even though I do not feel as safe as I would like, I've found that I missed being able to teach students.

I devoted my blog to looking school violence issues. I research a number of preventative measures. The most important thing I've learned is that you cannot take anything for granted. Grade point average and discipline record in no way indicates how sincere a threat of violence is.

This has not been an entirely negative experience for me. I've seen how wonderful the staff is that I get to work with. They have given me so much support. I could not imagine working with another group of people. I'm growing as a person and as an educator. Specifically, I've chose to no longer be naive. I'm making a concentrated effort to be aware of my surroundings. I realize that there is no foolproof safety measure a school can take to deter violence, unless we turn our work environments into a prison. We can't control the mindset and behavior of others. We can, however, control ours. I know I've got to remain positive and empower myself to be vigilant in paying attention to the things that go on around me.

Thanks for listening. I've enjoyed blogging about school violence. I hope you've learned something that will be useful in the future.

1 comment:

Second Grade Teacher said...

Karen, WOW.
I just cannot imagine being in your position. (Other than having a dear friend shot in the head and killed in a random act of violence by teens in 2006, I have had no experience with violence and I was in shock over that!)

Also, I'm disturbed by the recent news just this evening that more students were killed on a college campus, by someone that they did not likely even know.

It has always been (and will continue to be) my hope and fervent prayer that good overcomes evil in this sometimes sick, demented world.

You will also be in my prayers for a continued positive mindset and ongoing healing. I hope that you are finding the support you need from family, friends and staff. It sounds like you are!

And it sounds like this experience, though quite challenging, has made you a stronger, better person for it! God be with you as you begin (and continue) the healing process!